With Computing At School SEN TeachMeet in the morning.
Kano HQ, 69-79 Mile End Road, London, E1 4TT
Ticket Only Event
This Scratch Day event is planned and hosted by South London Raspberry Jam, and has not been approved or endorsed by MIT.
CAS SEN TeachMeet: 10am – 1.00pm
The coding community are looking to promote diversity and inclusion in teaching and coding events to encourage children to explore coding. South London Raspberry Jam: (SLRJam) have enjoyed successfully engaging with young children whilst promoting an Autism and Tourette’s Syndrome friendly ethos.
The SLRJam: team, supported by CAS London, are adding a Special Education Needs (SEN) TeachMeet to their Jam, for 30 teachers. After introductions, there will be a series of Micro (7 mins) and Nano (3 mins) presentations, a ‘Using the BBC Micro:bit’ workshop run by Microsoft’s Stuart Ball ( Community & Education), a range of coding taster workshops along with a discussion around Autism awareness.
There will also be 10 tickets available for teachers to join the SLRJam: in the afternoon. Places will be limited, so sign up early.
Schedule for the morning:
- 10.00am: Registration
- 10.15am: Introductions & Networking
- 10.30am: Presentations
- Stuart Ball: Microsoft: BBC micro:bit
- Marc Grossman: SEN Teaching Assistant Coding at School & Code Club Champion
- Sue Adams: Computing Curriculum Specialist [TBC]
- Grace Owolade: Inclusive Coding Events – Raspberry Jams
- Yasmin and Israel: Award winning Young Coders
- CrazySqueak, aged 10: Autism and Coding
- Hackerfemo, aged 10: Tourette’s and Coding
- Using Kano to introduce children to coding
- Crumble Robot Launch
- Jane Waite: Computing At School London Regional Co-ordinator
- Nic Hughes: Master Computing at School Teacher
- 11.15am: Break
- 11.30am: Teacher Workshops Session 1:
- Using the BBC Micro:bit
- 11.50: Teacher Workshops Session 2: Choice of:
- Coding the BBC micro:bit in Kodu
- Kano: Build Your Own Computer from Scratch
- Crumble: Physical Computing
- Crumble: Robot Hack
- 12.15pm: Break
- 12.20pm: Autism Awareness Disscussion
- 12.45pm: Close
South London Raspberry Jam: 1.30pm – 4.30pm
An exciting Computer Coding event will be taking place at Kano’s HQ in the afternoon of Saturday 14th May, to celebrate Scratch Day. If you’re between the age of 5 and 15 – come and find out about building the Kano computer kit and exploring their coding applications, hacking with Minecraft, video game design in Scratch, building a robot with the Crumble or Raspberry Pi and getting your hands on a BBC micro:bit. Children will also have the opportinuty to do some soldering, making cool circut board badges that light up in our open maker space.
Children will also have the opportunity soldering – making cool circuit-board badges that light up in our open maker space.
Parents also get the chance to code with the BBC micro:bit and experience the joys of Minecraft.
This is a ‘ticket only’ event. Children must be accompanied by a parent/carer.
*Autism & Tourette’s Syndrome friendly.
Schedule for the afternoon:
- 1.30pm: South London Raspberry Jam: Registration
- Workshops for Session 1 & Session 2
- Code Club: Build A Video Game for World Scratch Day
- Kano: Build Your Own Computer & Code Art, Games, & More
- Programming Minecraft
- Robot Hack with Crumble and CamJam: Kits
- Learning Python
- Hands on with the BBC micro:bit
- Coding in Kudo with BBC micro:bit
- Soldering and Maker Space
- Parents workshop including BBC micro:bit, Scratch and Minecraft
- 1.45pm: Session 1
- 2.30pm: Break
- 2.50pm: Session 2
- 3.35pm: Ideation Internet Safety Campaign Competition
- 3.55pm: Show & Tell with Awards
- 4.30pm: Close